Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Welcome Back Vaqueros!

I hope everyone had a fantastic break. I know if you felt anything like I did at the end of winter finals, break was very much needed. I also hope that everyone has had a great start to the semester as well! 

Well if nothing else marks the beginning of a semester, the line at the book store sure does. Today I went in to the book store absolutely dreading it. I usually order my books online and pick them up in the store about a week after I order them to reduce the stress and aggravation that comes along with trying to find all of your books in mobs of students and then having to endure the extremely long lines. (I still recommend ordering your books online, as opposed to picking them up in the book store on the spot, because a lot of times the books on the floor run out!) However, I was pleasantly surprised when I headed into the book store today. The line was of course quite long, but I found all of my books super easily and the line actually went by super fast! All of the workers in the bookstore were also super helpful as well. A+ to the Bookstore this semester! Thank you for making the beginning of the semester a bit easier to handle, and for making the bookstore bearable. 

If you've been in college for a few semesters, you know books aren't exactly cheap.. and if you are new to college, I am sure you are finding this news out right about now. Over my previous three semesters I have found a few ways of saving money on books that might be helpful to you guys as you are making your rounds at the book store. First and foremost, RENT your books of possible. I know I've debated on this a couple times thinking I could possibly get more back during the book buyback than I would save on renting the book, however this is usually NEVER the case. Many people are very disappointed with the small amount they get back during the book buyback at the end of the semester, so if the option is available just rent your textbooks. Another option that might be available to you might be an online book or an 'e-book'. These types of textbooks are usually half the price of an actual textbook, however, not everyone is able to read text online and learn as well as if they had the actual text in front of them. The last thing I always try to do to save money on textbooks is split them with a friend or roommate. I have been lucky enough to be taking some of the same classes as my roommates, so we all go in on the textbook and sometimes split the cost three ways, which diminishes the cost significantly! You could also go in on a textbook with someone in your class, and that way you are guaranteed a study buddy for the semester, which could be helpful!

I hope everyone has a great rest of their first week back, and continues to have a fabulous semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment