Saturday, February 20, 2016

As the classes get harder....

I've realized that throughout my college career, my classes and course load have been progressively getting harder and harder. Obviously, this is expected as it is anticipated that your knowledge is to expand and you are getting closer and closer to preparation for real life. When I first started at SBCC, I sort of felt like I was still in high school. I walked into my first class and we actually had a seating chart because from the first day on, we were assigned groups to work with. I am in no way saying this is a bad thing, actually, it was extremely helpful in helping me transition into this dramatic life change; it was just a lot different than I had expected. Of course, it depends on what classes you decide to take during your first semester as well; if you jump right on the band wagon and take microbiology or something of that nature, then of course you will be hit with a bigger load of homework and a more college like feel in regards to the teaching style. However, I am speaking from my personal experience and my first college class was "personal development", which by the way was a fantastic class to start off the new chapter of my life with; it really helped me to notice things I had not even noticed about myself.

Now that I am well into my last (fourth) semester here at SBCC, I have realized that real life really is just around the corner, and with that came a class schedule that complimented that realization I had. I've been noticing that my classes have less 'busy work' and that my grades in almost every class I'm taking this semester revolve around midterm exams,, perhaps a few quizzes here and there, a course paper and the final exam. Because our grade consists of nothing but these elements, my stress level is through the roof. I am finding that I haven't really had much experience with preparing for tests on my own with solely lecture notes and without prior exercises or homework assignments to help. Although I am stressed out, I am so thankful that I am now taking classes that will really prepare me for the UC system.

Keep Your Eye on the Prize
If any of you are in the same situation as I am right now, I just want to encourage you to keep going! You are not alone, and you will get through all these long days nights of studying and passing up invite after invite to study for midterms! Just remember fabulous things are yet to come and missing out on a few social events to ensure that you have good grades and are obtaining the knowledge you need to pursue your dreams will definitely be worth it... at least this is what I tell myself to keep me going!

No comments:

Post a Comment