Friday, February 12, 2016

Need an Earth Science to help you fill IGETC

If you are still searching for a science to take in order to fill IGETC requirements, I highly recommend taking Earth 141 / Geography 100 with Michael Robinson! Let me tell you, I am not a fan of science of any kind and was actually dreading having to take a science class. Figuring out what science class I wanted to take was definitely a struggle, but I ended up adding Physical Geography (ERTH 141 / GEOG 100) and thought I would mosey my way through looking at maps, earthquakes and rocks and just be thankful that I don't have to take bio or chem for my major. Even during the first couple classes, I have to admit that I wasn't sold on geography; however, we are past the introductory phase of the course and I am finding that studying the earth and learning about why the earth forms the way it does and what happens during these processes is actually very interesting!

We are currently learning about the different types of plate boundaries and how/ why the earth has formed its volcanoes and trenches and why earthquakes occur in different places of the world. Yes I have to put in a little extra work into this class because I am not familiar with many of earth's processes, but it is so great to broaden your knowledge on things that you normally wouldn't put your energy into. You never know maybe you'd find something that genuinely intrigues you. Even though I am not going to major in anything concerning the nature of physical geography, I am really happy that I have taken this course to broaden my knowledge on physical earth science. I mean, how cool will it be to be a psych major or a film major or and accounting major and be able to chime in on a conversation about the hotspots that have formed to create the Hawaiian islands.

Lastly, Professor Robinson really does make the class. He is so enthusiastic about every topic brought up in the class and he really does make easy to well in the class. Again, I highly recommend taking this class if you still need to fulfill your science curriculum to move on to a four year college!

Have a fabulous long weekend everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment