Sunday, November 23, 2014

Job Hunting

As some of you may know, I went to Bakersfield a couple weekend ago to visit my best friend. While I was there I realized that i desperately need a job. My best friend works at a salon and lets just say I was shocked by how much her paycheck was! This inspired me to open my laptop and do a little job searching when I got home. 

I have always thought it would be awesome to work at Starbucks.. and no not just because I'm a "typical white girl" haha (although I'm not going to lie, I do love those pumpkin spice and peppermint mocha lattes. Starbucks just seems to be a great work environment and they also offer so many employee benefits. So I logged on to Starbucks.com and made a profile. Before I knew it I found myself applying to all of the local Starbucks. Now at the end of the application, they notify you that even though you have applied to several Starbucks locations, it doesn't mean they are currently looking for employees. After I read that, I was a bit discouraged because I had just spent over an hour answering several questions and filling out information. I closed my laptop and decided I would continue my job search tomorrow.

The next morning, I was walking out of class when I checked my phone and noticed a missed call and voicemail. I had about five minutes before my next class so I decided to listen to it, and guess who it was?! The manager of one of the Starbucks I applied too! I was ecstatic! After class I called the manager back and we set up an interview for a couple days later.

As you can imagine I was very excited that I got a call back but I was also beginning to get very nervous about the interview! Over the next couple of days I did some research on Starbucks mission statement and the background of the company. I also practiced interview questions with my family and friends. (My personal development teacher would be very proud!) Before I knew it, it was Thursday afternoon and I was on my way to the interview!

When I got there the line was out the door, so the manager asked if I would wait just a couple of minutes until the line died down. I agree and sat anxiously waiting for her. When she finally took a seat across from me I felt relieved, at this point I just wanted the interview to be over, as I sat there debating my interview answers for about fifteen minutes. After the first question though, I felt much more relaxed! The manager was a very personable and laid back person, so naturally I felt relaxed as well. At the end of the interview so told me she was very impressed with my interview skills and actually offered me the job right on the spot! I was beyond happy! 

My advice to you: If you have a job interview, do your research! She was very impressed and surprised that I knew so much about the Starbucks Corporation. I would also advice you to practice you interview and make sure you feel comfortable with your answers! That really helped me to relax once one interview had begun!

Best of luck in your job searches and interview processes! And come visit your new Starbucks Barista! :)

1 comment: