Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Its Time to Start Making Decisions that Benefit Yourself

I feel like in some ways, I am sort of a people pleaser... and by that I mean that I really don't like letting people down or making their life harder in any way. I mean, I guess you could say that this trait could be beneficial in many situations, however, sometimes it jeopardizes my happiness and well being and that when it becomes a problem.

Recently, as you all know from my many blog posts, I have been beyond busy, stretching myself in every direction and even though I tried many solutions to help ease the stress of the busy schedule such as making sure I had at least sometime to myself everyday, or trying to exercise regularly, or trying to get a schedule down for hom
ework / study time, nothing was helping with the stress factor, and it began to build up until I finally (had a mini breakdown on the phone with my mom) and realized that I needed to change something in my life or I was going to continue down this path that was ultimately making me miserable, unhappy, and mentally unhealthy.

After consulting with my mom, who is and always will be the best at giving advice, she agreed that something needed to go in order to regain my happiness (and sanity). By the end of our conversation, it was clear what needed to be cut out of my life and it was also clear that although my happiness and making sure that I am healthy in all aspects comes first, school is a close second, if not a tie. School has always been a huge aspect of my life, and it has always been important to me as well as my family members that I attend college and obtain a degree. So of course I would have never even imagined quitting school or taking time off. What this m
eant, was that work had to go. I am lucky enough that my parents support me not only with everything I do in life, but also in the financial aspect, so quitting my job wasn't going to effect my ability to pay rent or buy monthly groceries (which I am so, so thankful for, and appreciate so much). However, this also meant that I wouldn't have much extra money, for the time being, to go to concerts, go out to eat or go shopping on a whim.

To be honest, I was worried about quitting my job just because I like to be able to have my own money; it's such an accomplishing feeling to go and cash a paycheck because you know that you did work hard for that money. However, I also knew that I was wearing my self down way too much and that it was going to catch up with my very soon, in fact, I think it may have already started too, so I knew what I had to do and what was in my best interest.

I think that this little obstacle that I have encountered has taught me so much this semester, and I am also glad that I had to go through this. It has taught me to think twice about buying that shirt that I already have in two other colors, or about ordering food in solely because I'm too lazy (or too busy) to cook the food that I have in the cabinet/fridge. I also realized that there are many different chapters in life, and that it's okay be be kind of caught in the transition phase for a short while. Im obviously not going to say to heck with it and never work again; I am definitely going to get a job over the summer, but let me tell you for the time-being I am so much less stressed and feel much relief when I think about all of the homework I am going to be able to get done, and the time that I am going to have to spend time with friends and also, with myself without feeling rushed. I feel like I can enjoy life again.

Now I am most definitely not saying that you shouldn't work in college or what not, because I have been working for almost all of the past two semesters, and it has been awesome having that spending money, but I am saying that there are points in your life that you need to realistically evaluate your situation and make the choices that are actually beneficial to your life, your health, and your well-being.

Be good to yourself you guys! You only have one mind and one body, so take care of it!


No comments:

Post a Comment