Monday, March 21, 2016

Quizlet

As midterms and exams are being thrown at us, I'm sure you have been spending much of your time with you head in your notes and textbooks studying. Well this is exactly what I have been doing, and let me tell you, I was getting really tired of looking over my notes again and again and again, and actually found that I was not learning anymore from the notes than I had learned the first couple times that I had gone over them. I realized that I needed to revise my student habits.

My roommates were always using the webpage/app, "Quizlet", and I had always thought that it was a website that younger children, say middle school and high school kids, used for their vocabulary tests. Now I have no idea why I thought this, but since I was sort of desperate to change my study habits, I decided to sign up and see what this study site was all about.

I do have to say that I should have listened to my roommates when they tried to suggest that I use quiz let. I mean, I definitely realized that this website was for electronic flashcards, but I didn't realize all of the other features that Quizlet had. It's super nice because you can create your flashcards and put them into a folder for that specific class, so it also helps to keep you organized. Another feature is that as you are going through your flashcards, you can star certain terms, so that you can separate out the flashcards by what you know and what terms you may need a bit more work on. There is also a few different study techniques that you can interchange between using your specific study set that you have created. There is a setting where you are asked to type in the definition of the word provided on one side of the card. This setting is definitely the hardest for me, but in my opinion, it serves as the best study skill because it ensures that you know the flashcards given either the definition or the term interchangeably. There is also a few "games" you can play with you study sets as well, which helps to mix it up a bit. My favorite feature is the "test" setting, which gives you a variety of multiple choice, short answer and true/false questions to further test you on your study set that you have selected.


I have found that quiz let has helped me much more that passively looking over my notes again and again. I feel like it stimulates your brain in a different way than just reading notes from the top of the page to the bottom of the page.

I have started to make Quizlet's for my geography lectures which have helped me so much! I will sestare the lecture notes into vocal and questions relating to that topic. This way I have flashcards for each lecture and am able to review the material by making the flashcards while the material is still fresh in my mind as well as continue to study throughout the week.

I believe that Quizlet makes studying much less of a hassle because once you have the flashcards made, you have many different ways of studying that are only a click away! IF you have not yet used Quizlet, I highly recommend it... and if you are a current user of the nifty study site, make sure you are utilizing all of its great features!

No comments:

Post a Comment