Tuesday, March 10, 2015

The Housing Struggle

The time has come when you need to decide if you want to renew your current lease, move complexes, move to Isla Vista, move to downtown....so many decisions.

This weeks stressor: Deciding where to live next year.


I have dedicated my week to finding a place to live for not only fall semester, but also in the summer. This has presented to be a lot more difficult than I had anticipated. First of all, a little piece of advice: don't wait until March to begin looking for places to live for the following year. I had no idea that people started signing leases for fall in January. So as I began looking, either a) all of my friends have already dedicated themselves to signing with group of girls who are maxed out roommate wise or b) leasing complexes have already filled up. So make sure that if you have not already began looking for housing for the upcoming fall semester...GET ON THAT! Anyways, I did however, find space at a complex in Isla Vista called Campus 880! Its a beautiful apartment complex that still has space available if you are still looking! It is a very modern and updated complex, so it is a bit on the pricey side, but once you see it, you'll understand why!

Another thing that has come to my attention through this whole housing search situation is that you really do need to make the best decision for yourself. My current roommate really wanted to move in together next year, and of course I wanted to as well... however, she was set on moving into an apartment downtown, and I have already been there and done that last semester and realized it wasn't for me (hint moving to Tropicana Gardens). Although I really wanted to live with her, I made the decision to go ahead and sign a lease at campus 880, because I knew that it would be the best possible option for me. So yes, I am going into a apartment of six girl, where five of them have chosen to live together and I will be the only one going in solo. Now earlier this year, this would have scared me, probably to the point of giving in and moving downtown with my current roommate, however, at this time in my life, I am extremely excited and cannot wait to make a bunch of new friends! College has been beneficial on so many ways, but especially in the fact that it has made me so much more confident and independent! My last piece of advice: Don't be scared to move in with people that you don't know.. You never know who you'll meet and college is all about expanding your life in ways that may be uncomfortable at the time, but hey, that's how you grow and learn!

5 comments:

  1. i was just wondering how to find a roomate you dont know, im going to SBCC next year and i really want to live with someone i dont know, so how do you find one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My suggestion would be to log onto the sbcc website and click on the tab that says future students. From there you'll find a link labelled apartment listings! These are all listings of people looking for roommates :) You could also check out Craig's list, this works especially well if you are looking to live in isla vista, because many of the college students are looking for roommates via Craigslist. I know a lot of people who have found fantastic roommates this way! Hope this helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ,

    I am going to SBCC next fall and I want to apply for Campus 880 could you give me some advices about this residence ? also if you don't have a car how can you go to SBCC ?

    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rental property is very valuable now a days many student want
    rooms for long and short stay its well be helpful for does
    student who need accommodation for complete their study thanks .


    Manchester University student accommodation | The Castle Manchester

    ReplyDelete
  5. Living with a roommate is easy, when you find the perfect one, Find your perfect roommate on The best roommate finders on the web!

    ReplyDelete