Monday, March 2, 2015

The things you start to appreciate in college

Lately I've been noticing that I appreciate certain things a lot more now that I am in college.

This weekend my family flew into Santa Barbara for a mini weekend vacation. We had a ton of fun roaming around downtown and checking out all of Santa Barbara's best beaches, and of course enjoying all of the great food available here in SB. I really enjoyed spending time with my family and  realized that spending time with them is something I really appreciate now that I'm in college. Don't get me wrong, I've always appreciated everything that my parents have done for me and have always valued the laughs and times I've shared with my sister, but when you move away to college, you really begin to appreciate your loved ones in a different sort of way. Living 2,000 miles away from my family, every minute I get to spend with them is valuable. I really do have the best family out there. They're always trying to make sure I have everything I need in any circumstances, and I want them to know how much they really are APPRECIATED!

On that note, there's also other things that you begin to appreciate more in college. For example, my mom packed a suitcase full of goodies for me: a pack of tooth brushes, my favorite shampoo and conditioner, razors, makeup wipes, and a bunch of little snack for me and my roommates to share. Now in high school, these were definitely things I took for granted in the sense that my mom would always go grocery shopping and pick up any toiletries that I may have been running low on. However, being in college grocery shopping is a rare occasion due to the fact that time is so limited and everything is so expensive. Getting a suitcase full of toiletries was one of the best gifts I could ask for...and that's what I mean by your appreciation changes as you grow older and start to live on your own!

My advice to you:

If you're still in high school, make sure to take in every second of the "mommying" you get from your parents, because before you know it, you'll be on your own and you won't have anyone to say "Okay I'll pick some deodorant up at the store for you in the morning". You have to make time you go yourself, which means you may not have deodorant for a few days....ew.

If you're in college, let your parents know how much you appreciate everything they've done for you and are still doing for you!




No comments:

Post a Comment