Monday, April 11, 2016

The Housing Scramble

I, as I'm sure many of you, have received my acceptance letter from UCSB and I couldn't be more excited! I will be really sad to leave SBCC, as I have had such a great experience here and have learned so much and made so many memories, but I am super excited to be moving on to the next chapter of my life. That being said, the first thing I thought of when I checked my portal and saw that I was accepted was... "I need to find a place to live, like NOW, or I am going to be homeless". Although that statement sounds pretty dramatic, I'm sure many of you know the housing struggle in Isla Vista and if you snooze you definitely lose in regards to finding a place to live. However, it is sort of hard to go house hunting before you know if you will officially be living in Isla Vista because once you find a place you like, you have to fill out the application and put down the deposit of one months rent to secure the place or it will be gone within the hour. So my struggle was, what if I find an awesome place and put down a $700 deposit and then end up not getting into UCSB and having to go somewhere else while losing my $700 deposit. So that just wasn't a risk I was willing to take.


And this would be my new roommate, Kayla
Even up until about a week ago, I didn't even have a game plan for how I wanted to go about finding a roommate, which was really packing on the stress. I really didn't want to have to go through the whole craigslist thing because... let's just say I've been there done that..... However, I got super lucky and became really good friends with my boyfriends, best friends, girlfriend this year (a bit confusing, I know) and she just so happened to be looking for a roommate for the next school year as well. She texted me last week and we started talking about looking at places and we both hopped right on craigslist and began looking at places in IV. We found a couple potential apartments and scheduled a few walk throughs for this morning and ended up filling out an application and writing a check for the deposit. I am beyond relieved that we found a place, and so quickly at that. I am so excited to move into a new apartment, and go out and get a bunch of cute little decorations and to be living with a good friend! I am definitely in need of a change, and I definitely think this is going to be a great one!

If you still haven't found a place, don't stress too much... just hop on the band wagon quickly and start scheduling walkthroughs because there are still quite a few places that haven't been snagged up get... just remember that each and every day more people are finding out their application status so the places are going quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment